Sunday, August 10, 2008

Sanatan's Humility

I have no prema. Nor do I engage sincerly in hearing and chanting, the practices that lead to prema.

I have not the self-discipline befitting a Vaishnava.

Nor do I have wisdom, nor, alas, pious works.

I am not even of good birth.

O Gopijanavallabha!

It is said that you bring fulfilment to those who are most unworthy,yet the hope for your mercy, which is pure and holy, and so deeply rooted within me that I cannot cut it out, and it brings me nothing but pain.

Note: Raghunatha dasa Goswami has glorified Sanatana Goswami as follows in his Vilapa Kusumanjali (6)

"I was unwilling to drink the nectar of devotional service possessed of renunciation, but Sanatana Goswami, out of his causeless mercy, made me drink it, even though I was unable to do so. Therefore he is an ocean of mercy. He is very much compassionate to fallen souls like me, and thus it is my duty to offer my respectful obeisances unto his lotus feet and take shelter of him."

The transcendental position of Sanatana Goswami is glorified in the Gaura-Ganodesha-Dipika of Sri Kavi Karnapura (181):

sa rupa-manjari-presiha
purasid rati-manjari
socyate nama-bhedena
lavanga-manjari budhaih

"Rupa Manjari's closest friend, who was known by the names Rati-Manjari and Lavanga Manjari, appeared in the pastimes of Sri Chaitanya Mahaprabhu as Sri Sanatana Goswami."