Wednesday, April 30, 2008

This man kissed my godbrother

Notes from Journal - 2008

This morning we went for a walk down Bhaktivendata Marg and stopped near the entrance of the Krishna Balaram Mandir. We chatted about how immense was the compassion and dedication possessed by AC Bhaktivedanta Swami Maharaja and how the Ashram had changed in so many ways, from the time of his (acbsp) manifested lila.

A few moments later we noticed and older Iranian gentleman staring at us. We turned away yet continuing to chat when all of a sudden he came over and introduced himself saying; he had met the person I was talking with over 40 years ago in Tehran. Sure enough Harer Nama Das had been in Tehran teaching English at the university and was also engaged in the service of Swami Maharaja's preaching center. This man kissed my godbrother on the cheeks, left and right, as is the custom in Iran. He was so happy and thankful that Krishna's mercy had fallen upon him by the grace of the devotees. After Harer Nama Das left Iran, this gentleman became a full time devotee of AC Bhaktivedanta and was accepted as his disciple. We shared a few more very blissful memories together then we all went our separate ways.

Later that morning I saw a devotee from the Sree Caitanya Sarasvat Math walking down the parikrama path chanting japa. This particular devotee is always with Govinda Maharaj so I concluded that he must be in town. I will make an effort, tomorrow morning, to visit their Ashram and offer my respects to Him and his devoted followers. I know AC Bhaktivedanta Swami Maharaj had great affection for Sridhar Maharaj, Govinda Maharaj, Narayan Maharaj and others. I know I can benefit by offering all respect to others.

Next Day

I just now returned from visiting scsmath and the Radha Damodhara temple and feel very happy . The weather was very mild at first but it is getting very hot now . Today is one of those hot hot days .

When I got a rickshaw this morning I said to the driver slowly and clearly;"I want to visit the Sri Caitanya Sarasvat Math, do you know where it is?". The driver assured me that he knew where it was.#*?..WRONG. He almost knew where it was. We rode around and around, up and down the alley ways then finally stumbled in the right direction. I saw a devotee anointed with gaudiya tilak walking in an alley so I asked him if he knew where the ashram was, he then pointed to a narrow and crowded street. There were fruit stands, spice shops, cows, dogs, people, rickshahs, children playing and yelling, all on this little street. Finally I saw the sign. I asked if Govinda Maharaja was here and a Brijabasi lady said; "up the stairs". I went up and sure enough there he was sitting all bundled up and looking NOT WELL. I offered dandavats. I heard him say something to Goswami maharaja. He then went to his room. The devotees later told me that he had been feeling ill.

Goswami and Siddhanti then gave me the third degree. A speed question and answer period. Then finally we all relaxed a bit. We then went downstairs and Goswami gave a talk. It was the same OLE speech but with allot more polish so to speak. After the talk I went to Radha Damodhara and had darshan of the Deities and Tulasi devi. I circumambulated the temple grounds and the Goswamis Samadhis, meditating briefly of each of their individual contributions to the Vaisnava community. I then went into AC Bhaktivedanta's famous room. I introduced myself to the devotee maintaining the room. He was very nice to me and gave me a garland of flowers that was worn by Srimati Radharani and some sweets (MahaPrasad) offered to Radha Damodhara. They were amazing...something like fruit with sugar or something. I never had this type of sweet before. They were very tasty. I feel blessed that the deities and the devotees gave me some of their valuable time. We engaged in a wonderful kirtan, then I left for the famous Loi Bazaar. My intention was buy to some fruits,dates and figs but a little thing turned in to a big debate about a few rupees, so I left.

I then went to the Internet Cafe to use the computer to check my Email. My Brijabhasi friend who owns the place would not take my money. He said I don't need money because were friends. And I told him that a good business requires making money. He responded by saying ; "we will then go out of business, but at least I will have a friend". We both laughed.

After honoring lunch prasadam, consisting of rice , dahl, a vegetable, four chapattis and cucumber tomato raita, I being filled to the neck with prasadam then went to buy some gifts for friends and family. I wanted to make sure they were not made in China. That would be embarrassing, so I checked each and every item very carefully.

Now I am in my room typing as fast as I can, because the electricity is off and my battery is getting low and you know what that means.