Monday, April 28, 2008

She played a Joke

Notes from Journal 2008

When first visiting Vrindavan some 38 years ago, it was mostly forest and flower gardens. A short walk through the Kunjas would easily take you to the Yamuna river. Now you have to make your way through pathway after pathway. The holy forests are practically all gone and concrete buildings, crowds, motorcars, scooters and rickshaws are all pervading.

During the time of the six Goswamis there was no electricity and a few mud huts. This area was for the most part jungle and forest.

Rasik Saints and Sadhus would live in the caves and during the summer live under the trees. At that time there were Small cowherd communities and some farmers but not so many. In the minds of the local people were memories of Krishna and his transcendental pastimes. Those pastimes would be passed down via word of mouth through out the generations. This still goes on even today.

When Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu visited Vrindavan he felt great satisfaction just sitting under a tree. Krishna leela became overwhelming and he would sometimes laps into samadhi. He directed the six Goswamis to excavate this area and point out to the Vaisnava community the places of Radha Krishna's pastimes. This holy land is for understanding ones relationship with the divine couple and rendering service to them. We should not think the Holy Dham is for money making. That would be a dis-service (APA-RADHA ) and will only create problems for future Vaisnavas.

A Brijabasi friend and I were having a lengthy discussion about Braj Mandal when he suggested I visit Tatiya Stan. Tatiya Stan is a very old temple dating back to the 1500's. They do not have electricity or modern amenities of any sort. The ashram is surcharged with goodness and immediately upon entering the grounds we begin to think of Radha and Krishna. We went upstairs and offered respects to the resident Guru then went for Darshan of the Deity. It is said; "this Krishna Deity self manifested for the pleasure of his pure devotee ( Swami Haridas )". All the devotees are very kind and follow very strictly the Goswami teachings.

The benevolent shade trees have the Sanskrit names of Radha and Krishna growing outward from their trunks.. The devotees here at Tatiya Stan say they naturally appeared . The trees are very old and a few have even witnessed the pastimes of Sri Radha and Krishna.

The spiritual atmosphere of this ashram is self evident.

As I am writing these notes back at the guest house, miles from Tatiya Stan, the electricity went out. Now it is very quite, peaceful and dark. Luckily I am by a window with plenty of sunlight streaming in so I can continue. I only hear the monkeys and squirrels.

The generator at this guest house must be in need of service or something. It turns off about eight times a day at the most unexpected times. I have batteries that will hold me over for a few minutes so I will hurry along.

As we took our leave from Tatiya Sthan I noticed a little Brijabhasi girl about 7-8 walking on the side of the road. She was so charming that I had to make mention of her to my Brahmacari friend. We were traveling by bike rickshaw as we passed her. We went around a corner about 100 feet, when all of a sudden I felt a gentle tap on my left shoulder and knew it was that young girl. I turned around quickly an saw her about half a block away smiling as if she had just played a joke on me . I believe she did because I can't figure out how she could tap me from such a distance. The sensation did not feel like a stone but like a child gently tapping, trying to get my attention. My mind is still dwelling on this incident, it is so pleasing to contemplate. I can only imagine how charming Srimati Radharani and her childhood girlfriends must be. Jai Radhe