Friday, January 18, 2008

The love Boat Controversy


Once Krsna wanted to enjoy with Radhika and the other gopis who were on the bank of Manasi Ganga. At Govardhana, Manasi Ganga, there is a boat there, called vilasa-taraa, and Krsna wanted to have fun on that boat with the help of the gopis. Krsna invited Radhika, "O Srimati Radhike, tarani uttistha; please come and sit in this boat." According to Sanskrit grammar, tarani is the seventh case ending and it has more then one meaning. Taruni means "on the tree," and it also means "on the boat." Krsna was inviting Radhika to be seated inside the boat, but Radhika replied, "Oh, I am unable to climb the tree." Krsna meant one thing and Radhika replied with another meaning. Then Krsna told Her, "O Radhike, you are quite ignorant! You could not understand what I wanted to tell You. I am saying boat and You are hearing tree. Why? Oh, I think you must be very clever." He then again said, "Taruni uttistha." Taruni means "boat" and also "the Sun-god." This time Radhika replied, "I have no love for the Sun-god; I have love for You. Why are You asking Me to love the Sun-god? I don't like this."

Krsna was defeated by Radhika, but He did not want to accept defeat. He said, "You think You are the most clever person in the entire world. Now I am telling You, "Naukam uttistha. Naukam means boat. This word does not have two meanings. What will You say now?" Radhika replied, "Oh, according to the rules of Sanskrit grammar, nau is the sixth case ending of the root word asmad. Nau means the dialogue between You and Me for meeting. There was no dialogue between You and Myself for meeting. I never proposed to meet with You, so why are You saying, 'Naukam uttistha'? I'm not satisfied with Your words." Thus, Krsna was defeated again by Radhika, and He began to smile.

Srila Rupa Gosvamipada has explained how Radhika and Krsna joke with each other, and how Krsna is always defeated by Radhika. When Srila Dasa Gosvamipada was absorbed in an inner mood, he saw this pastime in trance and wrote the verse: "Vak yukta keli katu kejit. When will that day come for me that I will be able to see the debate between Radha and Krsna in which Krsna is defeated by Radhika, all the sakhis rejoice and clap, and Radhika's lotus face looks very happy? When will I be able to see all this?"